Access to health care using digital technology
Telehealth Standards Framework.pdf
When logging into HealthDirect remember;
1) Use Chrome, FireFox or Safari web browser
2) Use HealthDirect login details
3) Call ICT (03) 5722 5245 to request a HealthDirect login
Before your appointment
Read the Video Call information sheet.pdf
Make a test call to check your computer equipment
On the day of your appointment
Start your video call 5-10 minutes before your appointment and select the appropriate clinic from the dropdown menu.
You will need Google Chrome , Mozilla FireFox or Safari web browser on PC, Mac or Android to use Video Call.
What is Telehealth?
Telehealth is a secure and easy way to access health care using digital technology. At Northeast Health Wangaratta, we understand getting to appointments can sometimes be difficult when you live in a rural or regional community. Video conferencing technology can make it easier to access specialist medical, nursing, and allied health services from your home or another convenient location, saving you time, money and the inconvenience of travel.
Contact our Telehealth team to find out if telehealth can be used for your next appointment with either a specialist clinic in a Melbourne public hospital or a consultation with one of these NHW specialist services:
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is Hume Telehealth Agency?
The Hume Telehealth Agency facilitates access to health care for people living in the Hume region using digital technology.
Benefits of Telehealth?
- Less or no travel time
- Less disruption to your usual routine
- Your local healthcare professional (eg GP, practice nurse, or other) may be involved
- Increased independence
- Greater flexibility for appointments
Telehealth may not be suitable when?
- The clinician needs to perform a physical examination
- It is not considered clinically appropriate by the specialist clinician
- Internet access is very limited or not available.
How much does Telehealth cost?
The video call is free (except for your internet usage). However, you will need to confirm any associated costs with your specialist clinic and if eligible your consultation may be bulk-billed to Medicare.
Note: There may be charges from your Internet Service Provider (ISP) if you use in excess of your download limit. An average video call may use up to 300mb for every 10 minutes of a consultation)
How do I book an appointment?
If you are interested in a Telehealth appointment speak to your local healthcare provider or contact our team to see if telehealth is right for your situation.
What equipment do I need?
To take part in a telehealth video call, you will require:
- An email address
- An up-to-date computer, iPad, tablet or smartphone
- The latest version of Chrome, FireFox or Safari web browser installed or if you are using an iPad or iPhone, the Healthdirect Video Call app installed
- A device with a camera, microphone and audio output (speakers/headphones)
- A stable internet connection
- A quiet spot to have your consultation
Don’t worry if you don’t have internet access or are uncomfortable with video technology as support can be arranged through your local health service or GP clinic.
Here are some useful links to help you prepare for your telehealth consultation and making a test call is an easy way to check if your computer and internet are sufficient.
Hume Telehealth Agency
Phone: +61 (03) 5722 5832
Green Street, Wangaratta, Victoria 3677
Information for Clinicians
When logging into HealthDirect please remember;
- Use Chrome web browser
- Your HealthDirect login is NOT the same as your NHW login
- Contact IT Service Desk or call ext 25245 to request a HealthDirect login
Useful links and resources;
Hume Regional Telehealth Strategy
The provision of telehealth services is key to the continued delivery of safe quality care, keeping the community connected with health professionals.
NHW has been working collaboratively with other health services across the region, to develop the first Hume Regional Telehealth Strategy. This is a Victorian Department of Health funded project, with a core focus of growing sustainable access to a range of specialist appointments and healthcare opportunities for the community.
Hume Regional Telehealth Strategy 2021