Social workers are here to support you, your family and loved ones during and after your stay in hospital. We will speak with you and your family about your needs and help to plan future services and support when you leave hospital. Services that may be useful to you include counselling, advocacy, discharge planning and support.
Our social workers can also speak with you about follow-up or referral to community-based agencies for ongoing support.
Social Workers provide a range of service such as:
- Social/emotional assistance
- Income support information
- Information about, and referral to, appropriate services in the community
- Counselling for grief and loss and for adjustment to injury/illness and anxiety
- Information and support for carers
- Being a communication link for families with the hospital system
Social Work services can be accessed through:
- Northeast Health Wangaratta (hospital inpatients)
- Community Care Centre
- Residential Aged Care Facilities (if appropriate)
- Northeast Health Wangaratta is a registered provider for TAC and Work Cover.
Referrals: Anyone can make a referral to this service including all healthcare professionals, you or your carer. For self-referrals, a health summary from your GP should be included.
Waiting Times: Waiting times can vary depending on the service you wish to access. All referrals to our services are assessed and prioritised according to your care needs.
Cost: We offer both Government-funded and client-funded services. Fees are kept to the minimum amount and will vary between programs. Information regarding relevant fees will be provided to you individually.
Interpreters: If required, an interpreter can be arranged to attend the appointment with you.