What is Palliative Care?
When an illness cannot be cured, the focus of care changes to helping people to have the best quality of life possible while managing their symptoms.
Palliative Care concentrates on maintaining quality of life by addressing physical symptoms, such as pain or nausea. It also helps with emotional, social and spiritual needs. Palliative care services support the person who is ill, as well as their carers and family.
Our Palliative Care Service is here to support you, as well as your carers and loved ones. We are a community-based service and where possible, care is provided at the place of your choice including your home, the local hospital or residential care facility.
We can help you make informed choices about your treatment and care options, and provide additional services to support your needs, including:
- Symptom management – relief of pain, nausea and other distressing problems
- After-hours dedicated palliative care advice line for our patients
- Emotional and practical support for you and your loved ones
- Information about support services such as; respite, home care and carer support
- Referral to other support services
- Equipment loans at no cost
- Coordination of holistic care as your needs change over time
- Grief and bereavement support at any stage of your palliative care journey
- Advance Care Planning – help with making decisions about your future healthcare treatment options.
Our team works closely with your doctor and other healthcare professionals to ensure you are provided with the best possible care to enhance your quality of life.
Our Palliative Care team consists of:
- Specialist Palliative Care Nurses
- Palliative Care Doctors
- Allied Health Care Workers
- Social Workers
- Family Care Coordinator
- Bereavement Support (Support to family and carers after death)
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Administration Support
Our volunteers are a special part of the team and can assist with:
- patient visits
- supporting carers
- compiling personal histories and stories (memoir service)
- providing bereavement support.
Referrals: Anyone can make a referral to our palliative care service including all healthcare professionals, you or your carer.
Cost: Palliative care is a free service provided by Northeast Health and funded by the Victorian Government. However, other services we refer you to may charge a fee.