Occupational therapists (OTs) can help you to safely perform everyday activities. We come to your home and other places you visit to make sure your surroundings are safe. Our OTs will ask you about your needs and your activities and then recommend equipment, modifications or techniques to make your life easier and safer.
OTs may suggest changes to your environment such as:
- fitting hand rails in the bathroom and toilet
- installing ramps or handrails to help you go up and down stairs safely
- using a shower chair
- using wheelchairs and other aids to help your mobility.
Our OTs can also:
- work with you to achieve your goals
- help you cope with fatigue
- suggest ways to help you manage memory difficulties
- suggest and offer you pain management and relaxation techniques
- help you minimise the risk of developing pressure ulcers.
You can be referred to the service by:
- the hospital staff – after admission
- your local doctor and/or community services
- your family and carer