Our Hospital In The Home (HITH) service provides you with hospital-level care in the comfort of your own home or another suitable environment. This can be a safe and efficient care option which allows you to leave hospital sooner.
As a HITH patient, you remain under the care of Northeast Health and receive the same treatment as you would in hospital with access to our team of specialist doctors, nurses and other health professionals who work closely with the HITH team to develop a personalised treatment and care plan.
HITH can be accessed by any admitted patient who is:
- Assessed as being clinically stable
- Referred by their treating Medical Officer
- Requiring clinical treatment that is appropriate and able to be delivered at home
- Supported in the home by a carer or other appropriate person
- Living in a suitable environment with access to a phone and transport
- Willing to be treated through HITH.
The HITH team provide acute nursing care in your home that may include;
- Administration of short or long-term antibiotics
- Management of drain tubes
- Complex and acute wound care
- Anticoagulation management
- Complex diabetes management
- Neonate care for babies born prematurely or who require extra support transitioning home from Special Care Nursery.