The dietetic service at Northeast Health can help you with food and/or nutrition‑related health conditions. Our staff help you to assess your needs and develop nutritional plans specifically for your situation. They can give you information and teach you how to manage your food and nutrition needs.
Dietetic services are available throughout Northeast Health within the acute wards, Thomas Hogan Rehabilitation Centre, the Community Care Centre, and the residential care facilities. You can speak to us about a range of issues including:
- diabetes – type 1, type 2 or gestational
- food allergies/intolerances
- eating disorders
- hyperlipidaemia – a high level of fats (lipids) in the blood
- gastroenterological conditions – irritable bowel, coeliac disease, ulcerative colitis
- iron-deficiency because of anaemia
- medical conditions that need a therapeutic diet – stoma management, renal (kidney) disease.
The dietetic service also helps people who are:
- overweight or obese
- experiencing undesirable weight loss.
You can be referred to the dietetic service by:
- local healthcare providers
- residential aged care facilities.