Northeast Health Wangaratta is committed to providing accessible, safe and inclusive care for all people who identify as living with a disability.
Disability Support is a free service for patients, carers and families.
Anyone can make a referral to our service. You do not need to be referred by a health professional.
If you have any suggestions that can help us improve our services we would love to hear from you. You can provide your feedback by emailing email@example.com
Disability Liaison Officer (DLO)
Phone: 03 5722 5893
Mobile: 0427 416 960
Our Disability Liaison Officer provides support for people with disability, their families and carers to access services at Northeast Health Wangaratta.
- We do not take the place of health care professionals.
- We listen to what you need to access health care.
- We work with your health care team to ensure access the care and support that you need.
Before you come to hospital we can:
- provide information about support for patients, carers and families
- discuss what you need to access services and feel safe
- work with your health team to ensure you are provided with accessible and inclusive care
- provide support to attend appointments.
During your hospital stay we can:
- support you and your carer/s
- support and educate staff involved in your care
- help with information and planning to go home.
When you leave hospital we can:
- support access to health services and other health and human services.
- offer advice to health services about providing care that is accessible and inclusive for you.
COVID-19 support we provide:
- information and support to access COVID-19 screening
- information and support to access COVID-19 vaccination
- assistance with vaccination bookings for Supported Disability Accommodation services
- access to RATs (Rapid Antigen Tests).
Disability Support Officer (DSO)
Mobile: SMS only 0427 699 570
Monday, Wednesday and Friday – 9.00am to 3.00pm
Our Disability Support Officer provides support and advocacy for staff and students at Northeast Health Wangaratta.
- We can partner with Disability Employment providers.
- We can provide tours of the work place (pending COVID restrictions).
- We are a source of information about vacancies and recruitment.
We can support you to apply for work at NHW by:
- assisting with your application
- discussing access needs before your interview
- providing support during your interview
- debriefing with you after your interview
- providing feedback after your interview.
On the job support we can provide:
- assistance with paperwork
- support through orientation and ongoing mandatory training
- introductions to staff
- development of customised roster
- advocacy during meetings
- applications for workplace modifications to meet your needs
- invitation to attend regular meetings with other staff living with disability.
Your Rights and Responsibilities
You have the right to:
- Be treated with respect and dignity.
- Have access to information about the range of services available.
- Be included in decisions and make choices about your health care.
- Refuse to continue with services.
- Complain about services without fear.
- Have someone of your choice advocate for you.
- Have your personal information kept private and confidential.
You are responsible for:
- The decisions you make.
- Keeping Northeast Health Wangaratta up to date with relevant information about your condition and circumstances.
For more information about your Rights and Responsibilities please visit www.safetyandquality.gov.au
Referrals: Anyone can make a referral to our service, including you or your carer. Please let us know during the admission process, or tell a member of your care team, that you would like to access Disability Support.
Cost: There is no cost for this service.
NHW Disability Action Plan 2022-2025.pdf
National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
Learn Auslan: Phrases for medical staff
Easy-to-understand Information and Resources
I’m getting a COVID-19 Vaccination social story