Important Information for Patients, Clients & Visitors
Special rules now apply for people visiting Northeast Health Wangaratta, as part of new Victorian preventative measures.
Visitor entry points
If you must visit Northeast Health please use the following entry points only:
- Main entrance (Green Street)
- Emergency Department entrance (Green Street)
- Community Care Centre main entrance (Clark Street)
To help us keep our patients, carers, families and staff safe we are limiting visitors and people attending appointments at Northeast Health Wangaratta.
Visitors will NOT be permitted to enter if they:
- have any COVID-19 (Coronavirus) symptoms i.e. fever, sore throat, cough, shortness of
breath, runny nose, loss of sense of smell or loss of sense of taste.
- are awaiting COVID-19 (Coronavirus) test results
- have been in close personal contact with a confirmed or suspected COVID-19 case
- are from or have been in an area with outbreaks or elevated risk of community transmission.
All visitors over 12 years of age will be required to wear a face mask
- Visitors may wear their own cloth mask if desired.
- If you do not have a mask, one will be provided upon entry.
- One (1) visitor per visitor session where social distancing requirements can be adhered to.
- Visiting hours are strictly between 12 noon to 2.00 pm and 5.00 pm to 7.00 pm daily.
Outpatient and Medical Imaging appointments
- One (1) support/accompanying person can accompany an outpatient attending an appointment if required.
- Children under the age of 16 are NOT permitted entry to NHW as an accompanying person.
- Support persons may be excluded from exam rooms in-line with social distancing requirements (exceptions will be made for children or if high-level care is required).
Emergency Department restrictions
- Two (2) support persons if the patient is a child.
- One (1) support person for dependent, mental health, dementia or delirium patients.
- Limits on visitor numbers per patient may apply due to social distancing requirements.
- One (1) support person/visitor at any one time where social distancing requirements can be adhered to
Illoura Residential Aged Care
- One (1) visitor at any time, once per day for a maximum of 2 hours if a parent, guardian, partner, carer or support person of the resident for the purpose of providing emotional, cultural, spiritual or social support to the resident.
Exceptions to restrictions apply if supporting a patient/client that:
- is under 18 years of age
- is receiving end-of-life care
- needs specific physical, cultural or spiritual care/support.
Exceptions are approved on a case by case basis
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Screening Clinic
Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Sunday
Closed Public Holidays
Call 1800 324 942
7.30am to 4.00pm (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun)
8.00am to 12.30pm (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun)
If you have any of these symptoms, however mild, get tested and stay at home
– Fever, chills or sweats
– Sore throat
– Shortness of breath
– Runny nose
– Loss or change in sense of smell or taste
Call 1800 324 942 for an appointment
The drive-through screening clinic is located on Docker Street next to the hospital. When attending your appointment you must remain in your vehicle at all times. If you are unable to attend your appointment in a vehicle please advise staff at the time of booking.
Outside of clinic opening times, calls are diverted to the Victorian Department of Health Coronavirus hotline 1800 675 398.
Dental Services have recommenced in Wangaratta.
Patients who had their appointments cancelled due to COVID-19 will be contacted over time to establish their dental requirements.
If you have a dental emergency, please do not attend in person to make an appointment.
Call us on: Wangaratta (03) 5722 5325 or Benalla (03) 5761 2201
All dental emergencies will be assessed and appointments allocated depending on the urgency of the dental problem. Normal hours of operation 8.30am – 4.30pm will apply.
For adults attending appointments, we ask that you attend alone or with only one other accompanying person.
If you are unwell but require urgent dental care, please do not attend the clinic. Call first to discuss your dental emergency and let staff know you are unwell. You will be contacted by our Senior Dentist to further investigate your dental needs and medical history.
Please be assured we have put into place various measures to assist those patients requiring urgent treatment to protect both our patients and our staff.
Illoura Residential Aged Care
Visitor restrictions have not changed. Please help us to keep everyone safe by ensuring adherence to the following:
- Visiting periods between 12midday to 2pm and 5pm to 7pm
- Two (2) visitors per resident per day
- Short visits – please aim for 30 minutes
- Proof of influenza vaccination is required
- Screening questions will be asked at the door and your temperature taken
- No admittance to anyone who is unwell
- No admittance to anyone under 16 years of age
- No admittance to anyone who has travelled overseas in the past 14 days
- No admittance to anyone who has been in contact with someone with a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19 in the last 14 days
- No admittance to anyone awaing COVID-19 test results
We have had many enquiries about taking residents out. This remains controversial and we would prefer residents do not leave the facility to go to public places or to private homes where there is a gathering of people.
Allowances will be made for visiting in extenuating circumstances. Please call Amanda, Jen or Nat during business hours to discuss. We understand that extenuating circumstances can occur at unexpected times. The nurse in charge of the facility can offer assistance if this conversation needs to occur out of business hours.
To discuss visitor restrictions at Illoura or whether an exception be applied to you please contact the onsite supervisor (03) 5721 0310 or (03) 5721 0335.
We are taking a range of preventative measures, while maintaining a high-quality obstetric service at this time.
Some of the preventative measures we have implemented for maternity services include:
- Limiting visitors to one (1) partner or support person only throughout maternity care where social distancing requirements can be adhered to.
- No visits to our service from siblings or grandparents of newborns.
- Reducing, postponing and/or increasing the interval between antenatal visits.
- Shortening the duration of antenatal visits.
- Avoiding face to face antenatal classes.
We understand that this may cause anxiety or frustration in some instances, however, we believe this is the best way to reduce the risk to our clients and newborn babies.
If you have any concerns regarding these changes to our service please do not hesitate to contact Maternity Services on (03) 5722 5225
Resources for your health and wellbeing during COVID-19
For the most current information please visit;
Mensline Australia or 1300 789 978
Headspace 12 - 25 year olds
Headspace provides free online and phone support and counselling to young people 12-25 and their families and friends
Connect 1-on-1, you can connect 1-on-1 from 9.00am to 1.00am, 7 days a week
Group chat online, call 1800 650 890 (mobile charges will apply), but if you let the team member know you are calling from a mobile they will call you back.
Easting well during COVID-19
Woolworths and Coles
Supporting healthcare works and the vulnerable by offering dedicated opening times
Have a variety of options currently available inclusive of:
Order and collect (8-6pm, however happy to look at other times) at loading bay on victory parade
Open to providing special times for health care workers to collect i.e. 6am or latter i.e. 7pm.
Online service available to place order (healthcare workers can leave a note to request late or early pick up)
If staff live in Wangaratta, happy to drop off food to their place
Provide a seasonal mixed vegie box $40 (feeds a couple for a week). Staff can request certain food to not be included i.e. allergy
Can take order by text (no online ordering system available) and put together vegie/fruit box. Number for order 0468942676
Provides bread to wholefoods and would be very happy to offer orders for any type of bread.
NuFruit Wangaratta – fruit and veg plus Appin Bakery bread
Free delivery (may be a minimum order) https://nufruitonline.com.au/
Arnolds Wodonga – fruit and veg plus bread, biscuits, canned products (tomatoes, vegies, tuna etc), some cereals, snacks, cordials, eggs, juice, soft drinks, spreads etc.
They deliver to Wangaratta Tuesday to Friday for $10.95 flat rate on orders over $30
Light and easy
Deliveries nutritious meals – not everyone’s choice however a good option for complete meals delivered to your (or NHW) door.
Everyday Gourmet Butcher http://www.youreverydaygourmet.com.au/
Warby Street Butcher phone 57212217