Important Information for NHW Patients, Clients & Visitors
If you have a fever, sore throat, cough, difficulty breathing or think that you may have COVID-19 (Coronavirus) DO NOT come to our Emergency Department. Call us on our dedicated hotline for advice or assistance 1800 324 942.
Visitor entry points to our main hospital campus
The health and safety of our patients, clients and staff is of the upmost importance to us. To minimise risk, effective immediately, we have restricted access to our facilities.
If you must attend Northeast Health Wangaratta please use the following entry points only:
- Main entrance (Green Street)
- Emergency Department entrance (Green Street)
- Community Care Centre main entrance (Clark Street)
The following questions will be asked prior to entry to Northeast Health Wangaratta:
- Have you arrived to Australia from overseas within the last 14 days?
- Have you come in to contact with a positive COVID-19 (Coronavirus) patient?
- Do you have any symptoms of a cough or cold?
- We will also check your temperature
To protect the safety of our staff, patients and families, if you answer YES to any of the above questions or have a temperature above 37.5 degrees you will not be permitted to enter.
New visitor guidelines and restrictions
Our visitor guidelines and some new restrictions are in place for the safety of all.
- Only (1) visitor per patient in all inpatient wards including maternity and visitors accompanying an outpatient attending an appointment.
- Visiting hours will be strictly 12 noon to 2.00pm and 5.00pm to 7.00pm daily
- Visitors are permitted to stay for up to one hour at a time
- Visitors will NOT be permitted if they have a fever, sore throat, cough or shortness of breath, have travelled from overseas in the past two weeks or have identified as having close personal contact with a confirmed or suspected COVID-19 case.
- As a support person of a maternity admission. Maternity patients will be asked to identify ONE ONLY consistent visitor for the duration of their stay;
An exception to this restriction will apply, such as supporting a loved one in end of life care.
Your co-operation and understanding at this time are appreciated.
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Screening Clinic
Call 1800 324 942 before attending
Our COVID-19 (Coronavirus) screening clinic for local residents is now open in Wangaratta. Please call on our dedicated hotline 1800 324 942 before attending the clinic.
If you live in the Rural City of Wangaratta, have a fever, sore throat, cough, shortness of breath or think that you may have COVID-19 (Coronavirus) call 1800 324 942 for local advice and screening clinic details.
This phone line is staffed between 8.30am to 5.30pm. Outside of these times calls are diverted to the Victorian Department of Health Coronavirus hotline – 1800 675 398.
Please NO WALK-INS
From 24th March 2020, Northeast Health Wangaratta Dental Service will be providing emergency services only.
Patients who are currently booked for treatment will be contacted, and their appointments postponed until further notice.
If you have a dental emergency, please do not attend in person to make an appointment. Call us on: Wangaratta (03) 5722 5325 or Benalla (03) 5761 2201
All dental emergencies will be assessed and appointments allocated depending on the urgency of the dental problem. Normal hours of operation 8.30am – 4.30pm will apply.
For adults attending appointments, we ask that you attend alone or with only one other accompanying person.
If you are unwell but require urgent dental care, please do not attend the clinic. Please call to discuss your dental emergency and let the staff know you are unwell. You will be contacted by our Senior Dentist to further investigate your dental needs and medical history.
Please be assured we have put into place various measures to assist those patients requiring urgent treatment to protect both our patients and our staff.
Illoura Residential Aged Care
In an effort to prevent the spread COVID-19 (Coronavirus) to Illoura, there are some new restrictions are in place for the safety of all.
A screening process (questions and temperature check) applies to all people including visitors, staff and contractors.
There will be NO ENTRY to;
- all people (visitors, staff, contractors) who have been overseas within the past 14 days.
- all people who have been in contact with COVID-19 (Coronavirus) within the past 14 days.
- all people with fever or flu-like symptoms.
- children under the age of 16.
- After 1 May, all people who have not had an influenza vaccination.
New visitor guidelines
- Visitor swipe cards have been deactivated. All visitors must use the intercom access the facility.
- Only (1) visitor per resident per day.
- Visiting hours will be strictly 12 noon to 2.00pm and 5.00pm to 7.00pm daily
- Visitors are asked to keep their visits short (15 – 30 minutes).
- Visitations to be conducted in a resident’s room or outside only.
- For end-of-life residents, the Onsite Supervisor has discretion for visitors on the facility.
Exceptions will be allowed only in approved circumstances and following assessment by an Onsite Supervisor.
We understand this may cause anxiety or frustration in some instances, however we believe that at this point in time this is the best way to reduce the risk to our residents living at Illoura. Loved ones can always be contacted by phone and video chat options are being explored.
To discuss this restriction of visitors at Illoura or whether an exception be applied to you please contact: Onsite Supervisor (03) 5721 0310 or (03) 5721 0335.
We are taking a range of preventative measures, while maintaining a high-quality obstetric service at this time.
Some of the preventative measures we have implemented for maternity services include:
- Limiting visitors to one partner or support person only throughout maternity care.
- No visits to our service from siblings or grandparents of newborns.
- Reducing, postponing and/or increasing the interval between antenatal visits.
- Shortening the duration of antenatal visits.
- Avoiding face to face antenatal classes.
We understand that this may cause anxiety or frustration in some instances, however we believe that at this point in time this is the best way to reduce the risk to our clients and newborn babies.
All current clients of our Maternity Services will receive a letter with more detail of these measures in coming days.
If you have any concerns regarding these changes to our service please do not hesitate to contact Maternity Services on (03) 5722 5225
Resources for your health and wellbeing during COVID-19
For the most current information please visit;
Mensline Australia or 1300 789 978
Headspace 12 - 25 year olds
Headspace provides free online and phone support and counselling to young people 12-25 and their families and friends
Connect 1-on-1, you can connect 1-on-1 from 9.00am to 1.00am, 7 days a week
Group chat online, call 1800 650 890 (mobile charges will apply), but if you let the team member know you are calling from a mobile they will call you back.
Easting well during COVID-19
Woolworths and Coles
Supporting healthcare works and the vulnerable by offering dedicated opening times
Have a variety of options currently available inclusive of:
Order and collect (8-6pm, however happy to look at other times) at loading bay on victory parade
Open to providing special times for health care workers to collect i.e. 6am or latter i.e. 7pm.
Online service available to place order (healthcare workers can leave a note to request late or early pick up)
If staff live in Wangaratta, happy to drop off food to their place
Provide a seasonal mixed vegie box $40 (feeds a couple for a week). Staff can request certain food to not be included i.e. allergy
Can take order by text (no online ordering system available) and put together vegie/fruit box. Number for order 0468942676
Provides bread to wholefoods and would be very happy to offer orders for any type of bread.
NuFruit Wangaratta – fruit and veg plus Appin Bakery bread
Free delivery (may be a minimum order) https://nufruitonline.com.au/
Arnolds Wodonga – fruit and veg plus bread, biscuits, canned products (tomatoes, vegies, tuna etc), some cereals, snacks, cordials, eggs, juice, soft drinks, spreads etc.
They deliver to Wangaratta Tuesday to Friday for $10.95 flat rate on orders over $30
Light and easy
Deliveries nutritious meals – not everyone’s choice however a good option for complete meals delivered to your (or NHW) door.
Everyday Gourmet Butcher http://www.youreverydaygourmet.com.au/
Warby Street Butcher phone 57212217