If you or someone you know has communication and/or swallowing difficulties then a speech pathologist may be able to help. Our experienced team provide assessment and therapy services for a range of communication and/or swallowing disorders, including:
- Production of speech sounds – for example, difficulty pronouncing the sounds in words
- Understanding language – for example, difficulty following instructions or understanding questions
- Using language – for example, difficulty forming sentences or trouble finding words
- Voice quality – for example, trouble with your voice quality
- Dysfluency assistance – for example, stuttering behaviour
- Swallowing – for example, difficulty chewing, food getting stuck in your throat or coughing when eating and/or drinking.
This service is available to all ages and can be accessed through:
- Northeast Health Wangaratta hospital (inpatients)
- Community Care Care
- Residential Aged Care Facilities (if appropriate)
- NHW is a registered provider for National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), TAC and Work Cover.
Referrals: Anyone can make a referral to this service including all healthcare professionals, you or your carer. For self-referrals, a health summary from your GP should be included.
Referral forms are available:
- Paediatric Speech Pathology Referral Form (birth – school entry)
- Adult Speech Pathology Referral Form (over 18 years)
- Speech Pathology Outpatient Videofluoroscopy Referral Form
- Speech Pathology Outsource Referral Form (residential aged care facilities)
Waiting Times: All referrals to this service will be assessed and prioritised according to your care needs.
Cost: We offer both Government-funded and client-funded services. Fees are kept to the minimum amount and will vary between programs. Information regarding relevant fees will be provided to you individually.