About Northeast Health Wangaratta (NHW)
NHW is a leading Victorian health service committed to providing quality health care to more than 90,000 people across North East Victoria.
We are the major referral facility for people with complex health needs from Bright, Mansfield, Beechworth, Myrtleford, Yarrawonga, Euroa and Benalla. We also provide a telehealth service to these smaller facilities, allowing doctors at Northeast Health to provide medical advice via video link.
Our Vision Thriving communities in North East Victoria, achieving the best quality of life for everyone.
Our Purpose To be leaders in health, who transform and deliver high quality, safe healthcare for all.
- Courage – Boldness and bravery are required to meet the needs of our community – this means going above and beyond what we do today.
- Excellence – Quality is non-negotiable. We believe in ourselves – we have the vision, skills and determination to innovate and drive excellence.
- Fairness – We believe that everyone has a right to equitable access to healthcare, and that this is vital for a flourishing community.
- Integrity – We commit to being open and ethical in our actions, and ensuring we have a positive culture defined by commitment.
- Kindness – We will always support one another, care deeply about our community, team and partners, and treat each and every person with kindness and compassion.
- Respect – We believe in not only listening but hearing, responding to and advocating for those we care for and about. We believe in and commit to trust and mutual understanding.
Hardwiring Excellence – Every person, every time!
Hardwiring Excellence is the framework we have in place to help us meet three clear and important goals:
- Improve patient safety and clinical outcomes
- Improve patient satisfaction
- Improve staff satisfaction
It is an important component of our clinical governance and places the patient firmly at the heart of what we do for Every Patient, Every Time! A key feature of the framework is improved communication and a standardised approach to patient care, along with clear expectations of our staff. Just some of the tactics we use to achieve the goals of this program include:
- Standardising introductions and explanations to patients and families
- Using patient communication boards to help two-way information flow between staff and patients
- Using performance boards to improve staff communication
- Attending patients every hour to ensure their needs are met, improving patient comfort and safety
- Involving patients in bedside handover
- Managers meeting with each staff member each month to check on their wellbeing in the workplace and acting on suggestions for improvement
More information about Hardwiring Excellence at Northeast Health Wangaratta
Care & Kindness Charter
Our absolute commitment to supporting /providing kind, gentle and compassionate care to our patients/clients and residents is the central reason we have all chosen to work in healthcare. We understand that the commitment to kindness starts with us being kind to ourselves and looking after our own wellbeing so that we can care for others. As a follow on from being kind to ourselves and one another, all Staff, Visiting Medical Officers and all Volunteers commit to:
Doing all we can to keep you safe by:
- Involving you in your health care
- Helping you to make safe decisions about your care
- Always cleaning our hands
- Quickly responding to your requests
- Providing you with information to help you at home
- Maintaining our skills through education
Caring for you with kindness and respect by:
- Listening to you, comforting you and making you our main concern
- Recognising, supporting and celebrating the broad diversity of people we work with and care for
- Being compassionate, gentle and patient
- Being there for you when you really need it
- Maintaining your privacy and dignity
- Supporting your family and loved ones during your care
- Providing ready access to Pastoral (Spiritual) Care
- Respecting your wishes
Being your advocate by:
- Helping you through worrying times
- Understanding your needs
- Speaking up and taking action on your behalf when needed
- Helping you with skills to manage your own health
Providing exceptional care by:
- Caring for you as if you were a member of our family
- Smiling and openly connecting with people
- Doing our best to provide you with the highest quality care and service
- Working collaboratively with all members of your care team in the planning and delivery of your care
- Maintaining and updating our skills
- Continually improving the physical environment, equipment and resources
- Communicating clearly and respectfully with you
- Respectfully considering any suggestion for service improvement
- Living our Mission, Vision and Values, every day