At Northeast Health we work closely with the local Aboriginal Community to determine how we can better support Aboriginal or a Torres Strait Islander people to access our services, be comfortable while here and have a smooth transition to cultural safe and appropriate services beyond their hospital care.
Our Social Work team are here to ensure that you are supported and have the appropriate information and access to our community health and primary care services.
If you are an Aboriginal or a Torres Strait Islander, we will offer support appropriate for your situation and can help you by:
- Being a cultural link between you, hospital staff and service providers
- Assisting you to navigate the health and community sector
- Instilling an awareness about the importance of follow-up appointments and programs
- Providing advice about transport options when you need to attend appointments
- Working with existing services to assist with visits from Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisations so that they can offer services to your specific health needs
- Actively promoting culturally appropriate care at Northeast Health Wangaratta for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people.
Our Social Work team are also available to assist Northeast Health staff to access information about cultural and health matters relevant to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Central Hume Primary Care Partnership:
Aboriginal Health in Central Hume
Department of Health and Human Services: