Our Aboriginal Health Liaison Transition Officer (AHLTO) helps Aboriginal, and Torres Strait Islander people connect with the hospital and our Community Health and Primary Care services. The AHLO is also available to assist Northeast Health Wangaratta staff with information about cultural and health matters relevant to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
If you are an Aboriginal or a Torres Strait Islander, the staff at Northeast Health Wangaratta will offer you a choice of follow-up and support appropriate for your situation. We can help you by:
- being a cultural link between you, hospital staff and service providers
- assisting you to navigate the health and community sector
- instilling an awareness about the importance of follow-up appointments and programs
- providing advice about transport options when you need to attend appointments
- working with existing services to assist with visits from Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisations so that they can provide services for your specific health needs
- actively promoting culturally appropriate care at Northeast Health Wangaratta for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people.
Central Hume Primary Care Partnership:
Aboriginal Health in Central Hume
Department of Health and Human Services – Koolin Balit:
Victorian Government strategic directions for Aboriginal health 2012-2022