The annual NHW Excellence Awards, conducted at the Wangaratta Performing Arts Centre on March 8th was once again a great night of celebration, with a focus on the achievements and commitment of the wonderful staff at Northeast Health.
The evening commenced with a recognition of the over 220 staff who were congratulated for academic and professional achievements completed during 2017.
This year a record number of staff were nominated by their peers in the various Excellence award categories, which made the task of selection very difficult. However, I am delighted to announce and commend the following Excellence Award winners:
- Award for Excellence in Support Services – Kerry Forge
- Award for Excellence in Information Management – Mustafa Mohammad and Carol Allan
- Award for Excellence in Corporate Services – Michelle Burns and Anna Shepherd
- Award for Excellence in Allied Health (Therapy) – Kristin Smale
- Award for Excellence in Allied Health (Science) – Andrew Cole
- Charles Neal Award for Excellence in Aged Care – Carmel Jedynak
- Jo Bevan Memorial Award in Oncology – Gabrielle Synan
- W B Richardson Award for Excellence in Nursing & Midwifery – Lisa Gephart
- Award for Excellence in Women’s & Children’s Health – Dr Leo Fogarty, Laurel Bennett, Judith Krones & Amelia Bock
- Award for Excellence in Medical Services – Dr De Witt Oosthuizen
- Leaders of the Future Award – Ashlee Martin & Kate Stratton
- Award for Excellence in Leadership – Eleanor Capel
The theme of the evening, “The highest form of wisdom is kindness” was carried through the evening and reinforced by our Guest Speaker, John Toomey. John is a highly sought-after speaker, both nationally and internationally. His professional background and passion for supporting individuals to maximise their wellbeing, and take responsibility for their own lives, their energy and fatigue levels, their success, their health and their happiness. Importantly John focussed on the imperative of finding your passion in life and living every day with the sure understanding that kindness is its own reward.