From Sunday 2 August to Sunday 9 August 2015, Australians are being urged to discover the facts about organ and tissue donation and to make and register their donation decision on the Australian Organ Donor Register. Most importantly, we are asking everyone to ‘have the chat’ with loved ones to make sure their donation decision is known.
Last year, 1,117 Australian lives were transformed through the generosity of 378 deceased organ donors and their families who agreed to donation proceeding. Nearly 4,000 tissue donors helped to improve the lives of over 5,500 tissue transplant recipients, some receiving multiple grafts. One organ and tissue donor can transform the lives of 10 or more people, it’s a conversation that could one day save lives.
DonateLife see this as an important community issue and are keen to assist the 1,600 currently on the organ transplant waiting list. To encourage family discussion, Cath Chanter Nurse Donation Specialist at Northeast Health Wangaratta will be conducting a range of community awareness activities during DonateLife Week:
- “Feeling on top of the world – a celebration of organ and tissue donation in the Victorian Alps” An event at Mount Buller on Sunday 2nd August. The event will run throughout the day in the Village Square at Mount Buller and will include a DJ, social media competition, face painting, balloons and children’s games.
- The Wangaratta YMCA is also joining with Cath to promote organ and tissue donation awareness.
- NHW staff information sessions on organ and tissue donation on Tuesday 4th August and Thursday 6th August at 1300 and repeated at 1400 hrs on both days.
- A community talk for Appin Park Rotary .
- Community talk at a dinner to celebrate 20 years since a local woman and hospital volunteer received a life saving liver transplant.
- Supporting hospital staff, volunteers and patients to share their stories about the difference organ donation has or would make to their lives in order to raise awareness locally.
The following video is very helpful in understanding the key facts about organ and tissue donation
For more information visit donatelife.gov.au