As part of Northeast Health’s commitment to improving our environmental performance, our Environmental Sustainability Plan 2016 – 2018 has been updated and an Environmental Sustainability Committee established to support the initiatives to meet our key objectives and targets.
Within this plan we aim to:
- Conserve energy
- Conserve water and minimise wastewater disposal
- Minimise and, where possible, eliminate the use of harmful substances
- Ensure the correct and safe disposal of all substances
- Minimise waste generation through reduction, reuse and recycling
- Minimise pollution – noise, visual electromagnetic radiation, and odour
- Address environmental concerns in all our planning and landscaping decisions
- Encourage procurement procedures that adhere to the principles of our environmental policy
Current Initiatives in place;
- Reusable coffee mugs implemented in the Cafe – reduced use of disposable cups
- Implementation of a printer cartridge and toner recycling program – avoiding disposal to landfill
- Staff green waste being collected in the Community Health Building – used for feeding chooks and compost.
- NHW is a member of Global Green and Healthy Hospitals – providing an extensive resource and access to sustainability initiatives, information, and ideas for improving practices.
- Delivery pallets are being recycled – avoiding landfill waste disposal.
- LED lighting replacement project is well underway resulting in improved lighting and less use of energy.
- Roofing Insulation is being installed to improve climate control in the ward areas.
- NHW involvement in the North East Sustainability and Health Group (NESHG) – a regional approach to sustainability in Health with an emphasis on community engagement and awareness on healthcare initiatives across our region.
- The inclusion of Environmental Impact within the Vendor Agreement Template for suppliers and contractors.
- Investigation into PVC recycling – implementation will improve both clinical waste outcomes and improve recycling outcomes.
- KimGuard recycling program – reducing the impact of landfill waste outcomes
Useful Links & Downloads
- Environmental Sustainability Plan 2016 – 2018.pdf [192KB]
- North East Health Sustainability Group – facebook page
- Climate and Health Alliance
Northeast Health Wangaratta
35-47 Green Street, Wangaratta, Victoria 3677
PO BOX 386, Wangaratta Vic 3676